Sunday, March 24, 2024

TENDER MERCIES ARE REAL

The following are some thoughts from March 3, 2024

I know that Heavenly Father knows who we are and is mindful of our need to learn and grow.  Being the Great Multi-tasker that He is, he uses each of us to help one another on our life’s journey.  Thus, we are all interconnected to each other and to Him. This truth was once more made evident to me again this weekend. 

Serving at the Mormon Battalion has been wonderful, yet it has also been very challenging.  We have been stretched beyond our normal capacities.  Several times in the last few weeks feelings of inadequacy and incompetency have washed over me and threatened to diminish me to a lump of useless worry with thoughts of, “I don’t know what I’m doing. Can I really learn it all and do a good job?”  Each time this has happened my dear friend, Joanne, have come to my mind and rescued me from my despair.   

Joanne and I have been friends for over forty years but have been busy raising our families.  Last year we reconnected and started having lunch dates as couples after temple sessions at the Provo City Temple.  Both Stan and I have thoroughly enjoyed this rekindled friendship.  

On several of our visits Joanne has shared with me a little bit about the debilitating and isolating effects of the anxiety she has had.  Thus, accepting the call to serve as one of the matron’s and now the matron of the Provo City Temple has been an extreme act of faith on her part.  She knows serving in the temple is a blessing, but even after several years of doing so, she still has anxiety episodes which threaten to incapacitate her, and she would rather stay home than go and do all that her calling requires of her.  As she is learning to turn her life and will over to the Lord and trust Him, she is being blessed one day at a time.  He is truly helping her do the things she cannot do on her own.  

Each time I feel myself slipping into incapacitating discouragement Joanne has come to my mind. Thus, thinking of my friend doing difficult things and exercising her faith has helped me stop from slipping into the threatening incapacitating discouragement I feel coming on.  Her story has helped me remember that I too can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.   I believe she came back into my life at this time for a purpose. 

Because I have thought of her so much and am grateful for her example, I had the impression I should send her a text this morning and tell her.  The following was her reply: 

“Oh Shirley! You have no idea how grateful I am that the Lord inspired you to reach out to me!  Just this morning I have been filled with doubts about having to speak at a stake conference. We just learned that it will be in the Marriott Center. That knocked me over. I was just reviewing my message when you texted. Thank you for helping me. The Lord truly does know us doesn’t He!  Thank you, my dear friend,”  

So, when I have my next wave of incompetence wash over me, I will envision my friend being able to stand at the pulpit in the Marriott Center speaking to a congregation of YSA’s for Him and enabled by Him. She told me later, “He held my heart in His hands, so it didn’t race like it does sometimes when I speak.”   He didn’t say earth life would be easy, but He did say He would be there for us, and it would all be worth it — in the end.”


No comments:

Post a Comment